Thursday, January 24, 2013

Who knows better than God? You?

(I choose this passage this morning before speaking to anyone but God.)

Proverbs 3:5-12 NIV
Trust in the Lord  with all your heart
and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to him, and he will make your paths straight. Do not be wise in your own eyes; fear the Lord  and shun evil. This will bring health to your body and nourishment to your bones. Honor the Lord  with your wealth, with the firstfruits of all your crops; then your barns will be filled to overflowing,
and your vats will brim over with new wine. My son, do not despise the Lord's discipline, and do not resent his rebuke, because the Lord  disciplines those he loves, as a father the son he delights in.

***************************************
It is really hard to trust if we always believe we know best.
In these verses in Proverb,s God is warning us against thinking we know it all.
We do not know more than God. Our plan is not better. We are not more compassionate or more loving.
Our world view is not more informed or more clearly thought out.

Look more closely at the number of times and ways we're warned against trusting ourselves, more than we trust God.

Can you read through the passage again and identify the number of times and the ways in which God challenges is to trust him, more than we trust ourselves.
Really take the time to think about these instructions.
I count me than ten times we are either admonished to obey, submit, trust God or we are warned against trusting ourselves.

Do you feel turmoil inside? The one who trusts God is promised health and nourishment. When I read this I think of David's words about his bones being crushed (Psalm 32  and 51) due to going his own way in sin. I think that yes, trusting God is good for your health. It helps with anxiety and depression and all the ill health associated with it.
You can not handle the stress of being God. You are not God. Acting like you are God, thinking you have all the answers, and that it all would be right if our went your way, will kill you. 

Give up trying to be God.

Trust Him.
He's right. If you do you'll feel better.
So if you are letting God be God, then you will have to trust him when he says what is right and what is wrong.
Believe God knows best and go his way.
Do you really think you know a better way than God?
So in your mind, tell God, "God you're right. I'm wrong, I'm sorry for my disbelief."

Jesus tells us a good outline to shape your prayers of surrender to God being God.
***************************************
Matthew 6:9-13 NIV
"This, then, is how you should pray:
"'Our Father in heaven,
hallowed be your name,  your kingdom come,
your will be done,
on earth as it is in heaven.  Give us today our daily bread.  And forgive us our debts,
as we also have forgiven our debtors.  And lead us not into temptation,
but deliver us from the evil one.'
***************************************
It breaks down this way.
God you are above me in every way.
Please rule because I know you know best.  Please rule in my life and all around me.
Help me look to you to meet all my needs. I'm not trusting in myself to meet my needs, and every day I'll look to you and not worry about tomorrow.
I'm prone to trust myself all the time and I'm likely to get this wrong, so please forgive me and protect me from Satan's temptations.
Other folks will think they are God too, so help me forgive them.
Really, God knows better than you!

No comments: