Monday, September 30, 2013

Eating with your enemies.


U nodigt mij aan tafel voor het oog van de vijand, u zalft mijn hoofd met olie, mijn beker vloeit over.

The author, David says, "You prepare a feast for me in the presence of my enemies.You honor me by anointing my head with oil. My cup overflows with blessings." (Psalm 23:5 NLT)
For years I read that to mean my enemies watched me get blessed by God. They stood at a distance or watched from hell, while I had a feast. 
I think I was very wrong all these years.
I think David means the enemy is at the table with me. 
Think about it. Jesus ate with his enemies all the time. Both the obvious enemies like the Pharisees and may the less obvious like Judas or even Peter (Peter at least spoke the words of Christ's enemy Satan when he tries to discourage the talk of dying and Jesus says get behind me Satan. Or less obviously, when Peter denies Jesus).

I think this shows us that we will become like Jesus. We will be able to graciously eat with those who seek our demise. We, with God's help, will welcome our enemies to the table. Maybe even it is the idea that God makes our enemies to share their table with us. 
Either way, I do not believe any longer that it is a description of a spoilt children sticking his tongue out at the enemy while tucking into a great feast laid on by God for his favourite child. 
Rather I must see this passage as describing Jesus. And if I am going to be included in this promise I must walk the way that Jesus walks.
So look forward to how God will bring your enemies to the table with you. 
I can think of no greater way for this to happen than for my enemies to become my brothers and to sit at the table with me. Could it be that they come to the table as an enemy and leave a brother?
So can we rejoice and look forward to God both feeding us and bringing peace to us.

2 comments:

Nigel said...

Great stuff. :)

Nigel said...

The ability to feed people is a powerful thing. When the world's resources falter, God's provision does not. Jesus didn't ask how many of the five thousand he fed in the wilderness loved him, he just fed them.

I think you're right Bill and I think that sharing your table without judgement will change those the Lord brings to you.