Wednesday, December 26, 2012

How much more?

“Keep on asking, and you will receive what you ask for. Keep on seeking, and you will find. Keep on knocking, and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks, receives. Everyone who seeks, finds. And to everyone who knocks, the door will be opened.
“You parents—if your children ask for a loaf of bread, do you give them a stone instead? Or if they ask for a fish, do you give them a snake? Of course not! So if you sinful people know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your heavenly Father give good gifts to those who ask him. Matthew 7:7-11 NLT

---

Fiddler on the Roof,
Tevye: Sometimes I think, when it gets too quiet up there, You say to Yourself, "What kind of mischief can I play on My friend Tevye?"

---

God is not a bored mischievous meddler with nothing better to do than to cause us trouble.

God is a perfect father.

He knows what you need. As your Father,  God is excited to give you good gifts. Your father in heaven isn't a removed Santa figure who is keeping score from afar. God is listening, he is leaning in towards you. He is attentive to your needs. God is a better parent than any parent who has lived among man.

Do you believe that God is a listening, approachable, attentive father?
Have you read the verses above and trusted God with a heart full of praise and a trust that God cares and is generous?

God gives good gifts. Are you asking?  Do you even know what a good gift would be? God hears and answers your prayers.

Here are some thoughts on prayer a jotted down a few months ago :

Notes on Prayer
Places and times you can pray
Pray when you eat breakfast Pray while you take a shower Pray when you first get up and lay in bed Pray while walking to work Pray when you are waiting for your computer to load Pray while you are waiting for the kettle to boil Pray while ride the bus Pray while you are driving Pray while you sit on the toilet Pray while you are in the waiting area of the Doctors
Attitudes of Prayer
Pray about what you feel strongly about Pray about Things you think about God Pray about people you love Pray about your sin Pray about your family Pray about decisions you have to make Pray for the poor Pray for humility Pray that you’ll understand grace
Just pray a short prayer
If you say you’ll pray for someone , in your heart and mind do it right then, then ask God to bring it back to your mind later and decide you’ll ask God to take care of it when you think of it later.
Just a short word to him, he and you both know so don’t feel like you have to make a big deal of each thing every time.
Actually tell God that when you hope for someone or something that you mean that in prayer Write your prayers out to people in emails and texts and cards.
Simple and something like this,
Dear Lyssa,
I pray God shows you today how much he loves you. I ask God that he would graciously show you his grace and love in new ways. I pray you will love his word and I ask our Father to rule with love and hope in your heart.
Pray about health
Pray about everything that is a concern to you. Mention it to God as you would mention it to a friend or family member,
Lord, My stomach hurts again. Please help me bear the pain. Lord is there something I can do to not have this stomach ache all the time? Please help me have the trust in you to bear this with joy and not to fall into complaining and feeling sorry for myself. I trust you God that you love me and that you are good.
When you worry, pray!
When you don’t know what to do pray.
Don’t get hung up on what to say, just say what you’d say to someone you trusted as a friend who cared for you.
Father, I can’t figure out this computer. I don’t want to waste my time at work on this anymore. Please Lord help me. Help me not to have to be successful with everything I do to feel accepted by you. thank you that I don’t need to prove my worth to you. I’ll trust you to help me get this done or move on to something else for a while. Please help my boss guide me on this sticky situation.
Often those thoughts are not fully articulated but the sentiment is in my heart. I am cultivating a right attitude by training my thoughts to be prayers.

No comments: