Saturday, December 22, 2012

Just Grace?!

2 Corinthians 12:1-10 NLT

This boasting will do no good, but I must go on. I will reluctantly tell about visions and revelations from the Lord. I was caught up to the third heaven fourteen years ago. Whether I was in my body or out of my body, I don’t know—only God knows. Yes, only God knows whether I was in my body or outside my body. But I do know that I was caught up to paradise and heard things so astounding that they cannot be expressed in words, things no human is allowed to tell.
That experience is worth boasting about, but I’m not going to do it. I will boast only about my weaknesses. If I wanted to boast, I would be no fool in doing so, because I would be telling the truth. But I won’t do it, because I don’t want anyone to give me credit beyond what they can see in my life or hear in my message, even though I have received such wonderful revelations from God. So to keep me from becoming proud, I was given a thorn in my flesh, a messenger from Satan to torment me and keep me from becoming proud.
Three different times I begged the Lord to take it away. Each time he said, “My grace is all you need. My power works best in weakness.” So now I am glad to boast about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ can work through me. That’s why I take pleasure in my weaknesses, and in the insults, hardships, persecutions, and troubles that I suffer for Christ. For when I am weak, then I am strong.

____

These words speak volumes , "My grace is all you need. My power works best in weakness.”

Can we possibly take this to heart?
Can you look at your life though this lens?

God isn't going to try and make your life easy. He isn't writing you the script of your own personal Disney film. Everything isn't about you, or me or us. Everything is about Jesus.

We are here so the power of Christ can work through us.

We should expect a life full of difficulty. We should expect weakness. We should expect highs and lows. Heavenly visions and thorns in the flesh.

But in all this Jesus comes to us with a reassurance. His grace is sufficient.
Break that down.

The God of the universe
The God who paid the ultimate price to bring salvation to his enemies.
The God who died because of your sin.
This God, Jesus says he gives us grace.
Jesus offers us the favour we do not deserve.
Jesus' grace is sufficient.

I think you've been duped. Because somehow you've read this to mean that it is enough. It's not much but it'll do. You've thought I'm a good soldier, I've paid my dues. And I'll walk away with my head held high, but in my heart I'll know I did it like a Spartan; I made it thorough and just by the grace of God.  I did it by the strength of my will. I'm the last one standing. I'm true grit.

WAKE UP

We're taking about you and we're talking about God's grace.

The grace of God is not spartan. God's grace is lavish.  He is giving you riches untold. He has welcomed you into his family. He is allowing you to share in Christ's life, death, and resurrection. Come on. His grace is sufficient is meant not to be taken as a self sufficient, survivor statement. This is Paul taking to the Corinthians.
Paul is making a point.

God's grace is far more than sufficient. What do you think you deserve?

But what have you got? Can you really not see what you have because God has chosen you?

And as far as weakness is concerned, could you have ever really offered anything else to the equation? I mean really. Come on. Did you really think for one second you were going to bring God strength. As is he needs your strength. The strength of his former enemy? So you've got strength? If God left you alone and didn't allow/bring all this suffering into your life you'd have somehow had some strength to offer God? You'd have pulled yourself up by your own boot straps, donned your big girl pants and brought strength to God?

Take a look in the mirror. Look in your heart.

Rejoice in grace.  Revell in grace. See the all sufficiency of grace.  Wonder at grace.  Cling to grace. Dance at the enormity of grace. Jesus offers grace.  Jackpot! Cha-ching! Grace.

What more could you possibly be hoping for? There is never ever more than grace. That's the point.

_____

2 Corinthians 11:22-30 NLT

Are they Hebrews? So am I. Are they Israelites? So am I. Are they descendants of Abraham? So am I. Are they servants of Christ? I know I sound like a madman, but I have served him far more! I have worked harder, been put in prison more often, been whipped times without number, and faced death again and again. Five different times the Jewish leaders gave me thirty-nine lashes. Three times I was beaten with rods. Once I was stoned. Three times I was shipwrecked. Once I spent a whole night and a day adrift at sea. I have traveled on many long journeys. I have faced danger from rivers and from robbers. I have faced danger from my own people, the Jews, as well as from the Gentiles. I have faced danger in the cities, in the deserts, and on the seas. And I have faced danger from men who claim to be believers but are not. I have worked hard and long, enduring many sleepless nights. I have been hungry and thirsty and have often gone without food. I have shivered in the cold, without enough clothing to keep me warm.
Then, besides all this, I have the daily burden of my concern for all the churches. Who is weak without my feeling that weakness? Who is led astray, and I do not burn with anger?
If I must boast, I would rather boast about the things that show how weak I am.

No comments: