Thursday, June 06, 2013

A very belligerent little man

Exodus 4 :14
Then the anger of the Lord was kindled against Moses
––––––
I've copied quite a bit more of the conversation between Moses and God at the bottom of this note. So to get a good dose of the Word of God go to the end.
___
How many times did she say, "I've had just about enough of your sas!" or "I don't want any more of your back talk!" I'm very sure I deserved the wrath of mom, because I was worse than Moses. As I'd hear the threat, "You just wait till your dad get home." I could rehearse in my mind the forthcoming speech, "Your son, is being so belligerent today and I've (mom) had it up to here with his attitude and sas!"
I'm pretty sure God the Father is saying this to the Holy Spirit, during this episode with Moses.
Job recruitment is not an easy process and Moses is not using the best interview techniques to be sure. God the Father must have been saying in the post interview wrap up to his Son, "I've got a feeling, I'm going to have to sack this one before he gets this project completed.
At least five times in chapters 3 and 4 of Exodus, Moses 'said' or 'answered' back to God. The New Living Translation says 'protested'  and I'm inclined to say whined, complained, drug his feet, or copped an attitude. How ever you translate it, God is very put out and is angry.
The thing that amazes me is that God bends.
To be honest Moses and God's relationship baffles me. Moses is nearly killed by God, apparently because of his uncircumcised sons. And I have no idea why his Midianite wife knows what to do but sounds a bit upset with Moses. Moses later strikes the rock and gets in trouble, but sees God and meets with him often, even sort of as a friend. Only in the end to not be allowed in the promise land.
But God also later bends because Moses pleaded on his face for God to not destroy the people.
Complicated!
And here at 80 it seems to all kick off with Moses being a belligerent little man who angers God.
What's your relationship with God like?
____________
Exodus 3:11-14 ESV
But Moses said to God, "Who am I that I should go to Pharaoh and bring the children of Israel out of Egypt?" He said, "But I will be with you, and this shall be the sign for you, that I have sent you: when you have brought the people out of Egypt, you shall serve God on this mountain." Then Moses said to God, "If I come to the people of Israel and say to them, "The God of your fathers has sent me to you," and they ask me, "What is his name?" what shall I say to them?" God said to Moses, " I am who I am ." And he said, "Say this to the people of Israel, " I am has sent me to you."
Exodus 4:1 ESV
Then Moses answered, "But behold, they will not believe me or listen to my voice, for they will say, "The Lord did not appear to you."
Exodus 4:10-16 ESV
But Moses said to the Lord , "Oh, my Lord, I am not eloquent, either in the past or since you have spoken to your servant, but I am slow of speech and of tongue." Then the Lord said to him, "Who has made man's mouth? Who makes him mute, or deaf, or seeing, or blind? Is it not I, the Lord ? Now therefore go, and I will be with your mouth and teach you what you shall speak." But he said, "Oh, my Lord, please send someone else." Then the anger of the Lord was kindled against Moses and he said, "Is there not Aaron, your brother, the Levite? I know that he can speak well. Behold, he is coming out to meet you, and when he sees you, he will be glad in his heart. You shall speak to him and put the words in his mouth, and I will be with your mouth and with his mouth and will teach you both what to do. He shall speak for you to the people, and he shall be your mouth, and you shall be as God to him.

No comments: