Thursday, June 27, 2013

Controversial and of another time?

Leviticus 18:1-5 NLT
Then the Lord said to Moses, “Give the following instructions to the people of Israel. I am the Lord your God. So do not act like the people in Egypt, where you used to live, or like the people of Canaan, where I am taking you. You must not imitate their way of life. You must obey all my regulations and be careful to obey my decrees, for I am the Lord your God. If you obey my decrees and my regulations, you will find life through them. I am the Lord.
----------------

"I am the Lord, " and" for I am the Lord your God. " are two constantly repeated phrases throughout what maybe arguably some of the most distasteful verses in the Bible. I say that it is distasteful for many reasons but to the uninitiated these three chapters of Leviticus refer to the actual sacrifice of humans. And not just any human sacrifice but the sacrifice of children by burning to death. Historical records from sources other than the Bible describe events where hundreds of children were killed at one time.
But to be fair, child sacrifice may be the most detestable reference in Leviticus chapters 18,19 and 20 but they are currently not the most controversial.
I want to really encourage you to read these chapters for yourself. But mostly to see the context and associations.
Ultimately my purpose today is to draw your attention to the overriding theme that underlines and punctuates these detestable and controversial behaviours.
Over and over God simply reminds his people that he is the Lord. He is adamant that as he lays out these prohibitions his people are clear He is God. There is not a lot of explanation, as to why particular behaviour is forbidden. What is crystal clear is that God is large and in charge.
This world is run by the Lord's agenda. He is God. God is making sure everyone knows the rules come from him.
God needs no other reason than he is. Are we God? No!
Who is God? The Lord is. So whatever has become of these commands for today and if you've not read them carefully you'll not be able to easily pick and choose what is still detestable out, from what is not currently relevant.
These three chapters are part of a whole. And the overriding and inescapable fact is that God is the author of these words.
You've got to ask yourself," What does God expect of me today?" How do I emphasis that I get He is Lord and God?

No comments: