Wednesday, December 07, 2005

A living piece of art

A living piece of art

As I walked to work this morning
I noticed a rough looking woman
head down, hair pulled back, deeply inhaling a drag off her half smoked cigarette, swerving to avoid a pigeon , careful not to slip on the incline , exiting the under-pass at the St. Mary's roundabout.
In the middle of the roundabout, window to the sky, sunken and surrounded by swirling traffic racing out of the long queues only to re-enter longer queues snaking along all the frost covered streets of Sheffield, I see a two young woman stopped and speaking. The one on the right is tall with shoulder length straight brown hair. She is taller than me dressed in dark drown cotton jacket and jeans with a bright pastel colourful stripped long scarf, the other young woman (most likely they are students, being 1 out of six of the population) is shorter than me and blond, but maybe bleached, with military faded green cotton coat and jeans and a polyester "woolly" winter hat in some dark color. The sun is shining there is no wind, the frost is in patterns on the pavement and you can see everyone's breath.
Coming towards me is another younger girl most likely in sixth form about 16 years of age. She is smiling a very big somewhat silly smile. She is wearing a black beret and a white cotton jacket not nearly large enough showing her rather plump belly and low-riding on the waist jeans that are to long and drag on the floor. Her red cheeks and blotchie complexion do noting to diminish her carefree vibrant bounce of a walk and she passes.
Once I leave the under-pass I pass four or more construction sites. Builders up early with many machines. There must be six or seven of them with various sizes of excavators. I saw more than three at the new Arnold Lavers new headquarters on Brammell Lane across from the SUFC grounds. And then there is one at the football grounds where they are rebuilding the visiting team entrance. An excavator is being used to knock down the building behind Decathlon. And I see more on the building site across from the closed Office World and before I enter The Stoddart building of Hallam where I work and look out the window and still see one occasionally on the building sites across Arundle Gate.

Life is full of art and that is how today I saw it.

1 comment:

FaithChristine said...

your artistic description painted a picture in my head...of a city I love and places I've walked.