Friday, May 24, 2013

Bound Isaac

GEN 22:5-18 ESV
Then Abraham said to his young men, "Stay here with the donkey; I and the boy will go over there and worship and come again to you." And Abraham took the wood of the burnt offering and laid it on Isaac his son. And he took in his hand the fire and the knife. So they went both of them together. And Isaac said to his father Abraham, "My father!" And he said, "Here am I, my son." He said, "Behold, the fire and the wood, but where is the lamb for a burnt offering?" Abraham said, "God will provide for himself the lamb for a burnt offering, my son." So they went both of them together. When they came to the place of which God had told him, Abraham built the altar there and laid the wood in order and bound Isaac his son and laid him on the altar, on top of the wood. Then Abraham reached out his hand and took the knife to slaughter his son. But the angel of the Lord called to him from heaven and said, "Abraham, Abraham!" And he said, "Here am I." He said, "Do not lay your hand on the boy or do anything to him, for now I know that you fear God, seeing you have not withheld your son, your only son, from me." And Abraham lifted up his eyes and looked, and behold, behind him was a ram, caught in a thicket by his horns. And Abraham went and took the ram and offered it up as a burnt offering instead of his son. So Abraham called the name of that place, "The Lord will provide"; as it is said to this day, "On the mount of the Lord it shall be provided."  And the angel of the Lord called to Abraham a second time from heaven and said, "By myself I have sworn, declares the Lord , because you have done this and have not withheld your son, your only son, I will surely bless you, and I will surely multiply your offspring as the stars of heaven and as the sand that is on the seashore. And your offspring shall possess the gate of his enemies, and in your offspring shall all the nations of the earth be blessed, because you have obeyed my voice."
_____________________
You've been blessed by God because of this very difficult episode.
" for now I know that you fear God, seeing you have not withheld your son, your only son, from me."
Jesus is the lamb provided as a sacrifice by God instead.
Jesus is God's only son.
Look at what the author of Hebrews says Abraham was thinking as he prepared to sacrifice Isaac.
Hebrews 11:17-19 ESV
By faith Abraham, when he was tested, offered up Isaac, and he who had received the promises was in the act of offering up his only son, of whom it was said, "Through Isaac shall your offspring be named." He considered that God was able even to raise him from the dead, from which, figuratively speaking, he did receive him back.
Now consider God the Father. Think about his offering of Jesus. Think how God planned to raise Jesus from the dead. See how Jesus is the lamb that God provided.
John 1:28-29 ESV
These things took place in Bethany across the Jordan, where John was baptizing. The next day he saw Jesus coming toward him, and said, "Behold, the Lamb of God, who takes away the sin of the world!
Do you fear God?
What are you withholding?
What is God asking you to give?
Who will be blessed by God when you obey God by giving?

1 comment:

William Bode said...

I've not recorded this note today.(Although I may record this comment.) There are a few reasons. One was the idea is quite emotional. I couldn't even write a response this passage that I was pleased with this morning. If any one story (account)in the Bible disturbs me, it is this one. And it disturbs me on so many levels. Killing like this is an abomination to God! He says so himself. This test seems manipulative. The possible scars on Isaac are incredible. The father/son relationship is being messed with. I feel very moved by it all. And can't help but think of my own son. But there is no guarantee of my son's resurrection. And then to consider the relationship of Jesus and the Father and it is too much to take in.
I have thought to sing a song as a vocal response to the scripture. I even sang one I thought I might share on sound cloud. I think maybe a creative response like a song, a poem, or a piece of art may be a better way of expressing the feelings of this passage.