Sunday, May 05, 2013

Trickle Down Systemic Sin

Ezekiel 22:23-31 NLT

Again a message came to me from the Lord: “Son of man, give the people of Israel this message: In the day of my indignation, you will be like a polluted land, a land without rain. Your princes plot conspiracies just as lions stalk their prey. They devour innocent people, seizing treasures and extorting wealth. They make many widows in the land. Your priests have violated my instructions and defiled my holy things. They make no distinction between what is holy and what is not. And they do not teach my people the difference between what is ceremonially clean and unclean. They disregard my Sabbath days so that I am dishonored among them. Your leaders are like wolves who tear apart their victims. They actually destroy people’s lives for money! And your prophets cover up for them by announcing false visions and making lying predictions. They say, ‘My message is from the Sovereign Lord,’ when the Lord hasn’t spoken a single word to them. Even common people oppress the poor, rob the needy, and deprive foreigners of justice. “

I looked for someone who might rebuild the wall of righteousness that guards the land. I searched for someone to stand in the gap in the wall so I wouldn’t have to destroy the land, but I found no one. So now I will pour out my fury on them, consuming them with the fire of my anger. I will heap on their heads the full penalty for all their sins. I, the Sovereign Lord, have spoken!”

------------------

One of the economic policies of the past 30 years was termed "trickle down" but it's not new. And the policy falls over in the same way that communism did. Both systems assume people are good. The conservatives think the rich will be kind and benevolent and the liberals think people will be honest and fair.
But just like this indictment from God through Ezekiel to God's people nearly three thousand years ago shows people haven't changed. Enlightened, educated, informed people at all levels of society take advantage of those under them.
What does seem to trickle down is corruption. So the result is oppression and suffering at every level. And everyone is in on it. The aristocracy harms the weak and their good position is not used for justice. The religious elite fail to fulfil their duty and don't set an upright example. The leaders of the people abuse their position and so destroy others for their own financial gain. The Prophets collude with the leaders. And the common person is abusive to the vulnerable too.

The result is the wrath of God!

Even with all the evil corruption God sought out people who would help rebuild a society of protection. God looked for individuals that would be a voice for the poor, the weak and the oppressed. But no one took seriously God's word. None were willing to 'stand in the gap.'

Although we should aspire to be better and although we should want leaders without corruption, men are never going to be truly trustworthy.

We must trust God who is the only one not corrupt. We must trust God who stands in the gap. We must trust Jesus who was a voice for the poor and oppressed. Our only hope is to hide behind the very one who can judge us. The only safe place is by the judge.

If you want a society that is right don't look to men, look to God.

(written while playing with my nearly three year old grandson .)

No comments: