Sunday, February 26, 2006

Educate me Mr. Mozart!

Do you know in what order the famous classical composers lived? Do you know who was contemporary of Mozart? Who was the first big name that everyone knows and who was really in the Classical period and who was in the Baroque or Romantic?

I must confess I did not know and I wanted to. I felt as if my enjoyment of the music would be enhanced if I could hear which composer might have influenced another. Iwanted to know the names of the pioneers and the copycats who improved on a theme.

If you know of any resources which would help me in this quest for knowledge and understanding please feel free to pass on your suggestions.

To set the record straight though I really like Vivaldi and it turns out he was one of the first big names living from 1678-1741, so when young Mr. Mozart came on the scene in 1756 and before he died in 1791 George Friedrich Handel was already mostly done seeing he died in 1759 seventy-four years after he was born in 1685.

No comments: