Tuesday, April 30, 2013

A Word Study in Abomination




Ezekiel 7:1-9 NASB
Moreover, the word of the Lord came to me saying, "And you, son of man, thus says the Lord God to the land of Israel, 'An end! The end is coming on the four corners of the land. Now the end is upon you, and I will send My anger against you; I will judge you according to your ways and bring all your abominations upon you. For My eye will have no pity on you, nor will I spare you, but I will bring your ways upon you, and your abominations will be among you; then you will know that I am the Lord!'   "Thus says the Lord God , 'A disaster, unique disaster, behold it is coming! An end is coming; the end has come! It has awakened against you; behold, it has come! Your doom has come to you, O inhabitant of the land. The time has come, the day is near-tumult rather than joyful shouting on the mountains. Now I will shortly pour out My wrath on you and spend My anger against you; judge you according to your ways and bring on you all your abominations. My eye will show no pity nor will I spare. I will repay you according to your ways, while your abominations are in your midst; then you will know that I, the Lord, do the smiting.
----------------
Today I read Ezekiel through chapter 8. I started seeing some trends. Have you ever heard of a' wordle' or a 'word cloud'?  There is a software program that analyses the frequency of words used in text, a speech, or some other literature and then creates an image made of the words and depicts emphasis by bolder larger fonts. So frequently used words are bigger and more prominent while less frequently repeated words are smaller. Someday I'd like to create this kind of a picture for the book of Ezekiel. But instead I've looked at various words I noticed today and searched their use in the New American Standard Bible (NASB).
Most of the words in the list below appear many times more in Ezekiel than they do in any other part of the Bible.
I'm sure you'll begin to get the picture God intended for his people.
He's not happy with what their doing. He doesn't like it one bit. God finds their behaviour very unpleasant.
God is planning some harsh punishment because of the actions of his people.
If I was you, I'd figure out what had gotten God so upset and then I try to see what can be done about it.

Here the list and what I found.
Abomination (42)
Iniquity (42)
Idol (42)
Profane (30)
Ways (48)
Commit (42)
Judge (21)
Wrath (33)
Detestable (10)
Not a pretty or admirable description.
May be it can be summed up this way,
If your everyday life isn't about loving God, then God is disgusted with your ways and is planning to judge you in wrath.

No comments: