Monday, April 24, 2006

Progress on a building site

I have lived in Sheffield now for just over four years. In that time I have watch a lot of building work. Since my father is a builder I notice construction sites and take a keen interest in watching their progress.
When I got the job at Hallam and then moved my office to the fourth level beside the floor to ceiling windows across from two or three large building projects I have had a lot to look at. Then add to that the several large scale project along Bramall Lane and around the Matilda Street area and I'm practically in a glut of "progress".

Yet I wonder. How much of this is truly a move forward. For one thing I have noticed much of what at first looks like a clear step forward is within a rather short time all torn up again and in the end left less complete looking than it may have at the beginning or definitely at the end.
A nice new pavement (sidewalk for you Yanks)will be put down with new curbs, pedestrain cross ways, and disability sensitive surfaces for the blind and all only to ahve the heavy construction planned in that area damage the curbs, break the new disability paving stones, and later to have the new ashphalt pavement surface scared with a long gash where subsequent power, cable, gas, water, sewer, etc. had to be laid down.

No comments: