Sunday, February 10, 2013

Thoughts on being poor.

How or why is blessing is often equated with wealth and ease.
People usually think it is a blessing to be rich, but the Bible warns us against wanting to be rich. Why are we to be cautious about wealth?
Job 1:1-5 NLT
There once was a man named Job who lived in the land of Uz. He was blameless—a man of complete integrity. He feared God and stayed away from evil. He had seven sons and three daughters. He owned 7,000 sheep, 3,000 camels, 500 teams of oxen, and 500 female donkeys. He also had many servants. He was, in fact, the richest person in that entire area. Job’s sons would take turns preparing feasts in their homes, and they would also invite their three sisters to celebrate with them. When these celebrations ended—sometimes after several days—Job would purify his children. He would get up early in the morning and offer a burnt offering for each of them. For Job said to himself, “Perhaps my children have sinned and have cursed God in their hearts.” This was Job’s regular practice.
What problems did riches not solve for Job?
*************
Why is poverty is seen far too often as a curse brought on oneself.
Job 1:20-22 NLT
Job stood up and tore his robe in grief. Then he shaved his head and fell to the ground to worship. He said, “I came naked from my mother’s womb, and I will be naked when I leave. The Lord gave me what I had, and the Lord has taken it away. Praise the name of the Lord !” In all of this, Job did not sin by blaming God.
It is a shame in this world to be poor. The poor are treated with contempt and often thought of as lazy or lacking good moral character. Many people think poverty is a curse brought upon people for their own ignorance or sin.  How is that view challenged and supported by Job’s story?
************
What is the relationship between health and wealth?
Job 2:4-5 NLT
Satan replied to the Lord , “Skin for skin! A man will give up everything he has to save his life. But reach out and take away his health, and he will surely curse you to your face!”
How does wealth effect health?  Why are the poor vulnerable?  What value is wealth to a very sick person? What does Satan think of the relationship of health and wealth?
**************
What does an admirable righteous life look like?
Job 29:12-17 NLT
For I assisted the poor in their need and the orphans who required help. I helped those without hope, and they blessed me. And I caused the widows’ hearts to sing for joy. Everything I did was honest. Righteousness covered me like a robe, and I wore justice like a turban. I served as eyes for the blind and feet for the lame. I was a father to the poor and assisted strangers who needed help. I broke the jaws of godless oppressors and plucked their victims from their teeth.
Why did Job tell us about what he did for the poor?
************
What does a just life consist of?
Job 31:6, 16-25 NLT
Let God weigh me on the scales of justice, for he knows my integrity. “Have I refused to help the poor, or crushed the hopes of widows? Have I been stingy with my food and refused to share it with orphans? No, from childhood I have cared for orphans like a father, and all my life I have cared for widows. Whenever I saw the homeless without clothes and the needy with nothing to wear, did they not praise me for providing wool clothing to keep them warm? “If I raised my hand against an orphan, knowing the judges would take my side, then let my shoulder be wrenched out of place! Let my arm be torn from its socket! That would be better than facing God’s judgment. For if the majesty of God opposes me, what hope is there? “Have I put my trust in money or felt secure because of my gold? Have I gloated about my wealth and all that I own?
According to Job what should a wealthy person do with their wealth?
And what should they not do with their wealth?
**************
What do people think of God's opinion of the poor?
Job 34:28 NLT
They cause the poor to cry out, catching God’s attention. He hears the cries of the needy.
Job got a lot of bad advice from his friends and family. But among all this we learn a bit of what people think about God's view of the poor.  How does the view expressed here similar or different to views you encounter today?  What about among Muslims, Christians, conservatives, democrats, labour, Buddhists, Hindus?
***********************************
Psalms & Proverbs
Psalms 140:12 NLT
But I know the Lord will help those they persecute; he will give justice to the poor.
Proverbs 14:31 NLT
Those who oppress the poor insult their Maker, but helping the poor honors him.
19:17 - - God identifys with the poor.
22:09 - - Blessing is associated with helping the poor.
28:03 - - What are the consequences of individual oppression?
31:8-9 -  -  We are told to defend the poor.



Psalms 82:3-4 NLT

“Give justice to the poor and the orphan; uphold the rights of the oppressed and the destitute. Rescue the poor and helpless; deliver them from the grasp of evil people.
********
Gospels
Matthew 11:5
Luke 4:18, 11:41
**********
Jesus
2 Corinthians 8:9
Became poor so we could be rich.
How can we change our thinking about wealth and poverty?
In what ways can we be like Jesus concerning or attitudes of wealth and poverty?
What does it mean to be just or righteous towards the poor?
In what ways specifically van we change?
How will this change of view effect our spending, our earning, our giving, or generosity?
How proactive for the poor should we become?
Can you think of other places in the Bible that addresses the disparity between rich and poor in the Bible?  (James)
Further related thoughts :
http://williambode.blogspot.co.uk/2013/01/1-timothy-66-10-nlt-yet-true-godliness.html?m=1
http://williambode.blogspot.co.uk/2012/12/there-should-be-some-equality.html?m=1
http://williambode.blogspot.co.uk/2013/01/why-do-you-want-to-make-it-so-hard-on.html?m=1
http://williambode.blogspot.co.uk/2013/01/what-is-your-fate.html?m=1
Psalms 112:9 NLT They share freely and give generously to those in need. Their good deeds will be remembered forever. They will have influence and honor. Psalms 146:6-9 NLT He made heaven and earth, the sea, and everything in them. He keeps every promise forever. He gives justice to the oppressed and food to the hungry. The Lord frees the prisoners. The Lord opens the eyes of the blind. The Lord lifts up those who are weighed down. The Lord loves the godly. The Lord protects the foreigners among us. He cares for the orphans and widows, but he frustrates the plans of the wicked.

No comments: