Friday, March 11, 2005

Backwards and Black Pudding!

Backwards and Black Pudding!

A full English breakfast often consists of the largest portion of grease you could ever consume in a meal in the UK. And in among the ham and tomatoes will be two dark discs. Here in England they go by the name of black pudding but where I'm from we called a spade a spade, and so we call them blood sausage. There are a lot of nutrients in blood. And we can be glad of that. But somehow the idea of making it into a sausage isn't very appealing. This morning in Manchester airport my mum bought her and I the famed Full English Breakfast, complete with tomatoes and black pudding. The grease sunk to the pit of my sensitive stomach like a depth charge sinking below the cold waters of the North Sea down toward a German U boat. So with an over full feeling I boarded the train. Now I should mention at this point I can get motion sickness lying in bed, let alone all the times it has plagued me on boats, airplanes, coaches and cars. So when on a train I try to ride facing forward. It seems to help me not get sick. Well following the gut wrenching saying goodbye and the intense Full English Breakfast the train I was scheduled to take was canceled and twice as many people crammed on the train to Manchester Piccadilly. I was left with a backward facing seat. I thank God for the, "All change for Sheffield!" called out to me from the tannoy. So was the welcomed brisk air as I stepped out on the platform and like a dog riding in a pick-up truck with his face to the wind I was once again invigorated and less queasy. So I found the platform I needed and waited for the Train to Sheffield. A loud group of woman apparently coming back from some holiday some where warm looked like they had wrestled with far too many Full English Breakfasts and won triumphantly like Sumo wrestler pinning a African famine survivor. I was actually getting a bit cold so I waited for a few minutes while trying to type this out on my phone in a warm shelter and nearly missed the arrival of my train. Also while waiting I noticed a woman walk up to where I have been sitting and smoke like a chimney presumably her last cigarette before the train came right in the spot I had been sitting. I was glad I wasn't there any more. I had , had enough cigarette smoke and pipe smoke during the Full English Breakfast. My father always seems to find a seat in the worst location. And there were all these smokers nervous about flying trying to get as much smoking in before boarding the plan. She was also talking loud on a mobile phone, which was all the more reason to be glad I was in the warming shelter. When the train arrived I walked to what I thought would be the quiet and less populated front of the train. So I got on and looked for a seat. I wanted some space and I wanted to finish typing out this blog. So I chose a forward facing seat in a foursome with a table and I chose the aisle seat. It wasn't too crowded when I first got on. Some people were coming from the rear cars of the train looking for a seat. And Mrs. Gravel voice chimney asked if she could sit down across from me. I could smell her smoky breath and the smoke that clung to her clothes. I said sure that would be fine I was traveling alone. I was quite tired and decided to finish with the blog. I stretched out my legs because she took the window seat facing backward spread out her things on the table and I leaned back and closed my eyes. "Next Stop Sheffield!" Wow I must have slept for the whole hour and a half! I realized the train was nearly in the station in Sheffield and I was heading for Norwich and parts unknown if I didn't rise from my slumber get myself together and get off the train. I stood up; I cleared my head; I said sorry for the snoring to Miss Chimney and stepped off the train back in Sheffield just in the nick of time with nearly none of the normal standing waiting anticipation. Watch Out for being backwards on a train after the Black Pudding!

No comments: